Thursday, May 29, 2008

TEMPEH

Dried Red Chilies, Petra, Jordan


Tempeh

I think Susy learned this recipe at a cooking class at a Burmese restaurant. Very tasty served with rice and healthy...

3 tbs oil
1 garlic clove, chopped fine (I usually put in a bit more)
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped fine
½ cup slice onion (I put in a whole large onion)
¼ tsp tumeric (I usually add a bit more)
1 tsp hot red chili flakes
2 cups crumbled tempeh
1 tsp salt (not necessary)
2 tsp soy sauce (to taste)
½ cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
One small can of whole plum tomatoes. I cut the tomatoes in chunks and I add the juice as well.
1 -4 hot green chilies, cut in 4 pieces each (again, to taste...I usually use one chili or none)

Heat oil in skillet and fry the garlic, onion, ginger and tumeric over moderate heat until light brown.

Add chili flakes, tempeh, salt and soy sauce and fry three or four minutes stirring so all is well mixed.

Add peanuts and fry 2 minutes more.

Add tomato, fry 2 minutes.

Add fresh chilies, fry a moment more and serve.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

got any good black bean soup recipes?

Quick and Easy But Delicious said...

I will check that out...but you can always go to epicurious.com